This is an inquiry we get 1,000,000 times each day. Starting around 2007 all Dodge Cummins 6.7, Ford Powerstroke 6.4, and Chevy Duramax 6.6 trucks come from the plant furnished with a particulate channel to fulfill harder outflows guidelines. A diesel particulate channel (DPF) is a gadget that traps the residue and unburnt fuel from diesel burning. You might have seen in case you have one the 07+ diesel pickups that it never puts out any dark smoke whatsoever. The DPF will catch 90% or better of all unsafe diesel emanations. When the DPF has become “full” of residue, it should have a recovery cycle to wear all the sediment out. You might have seen a light on your scramble now and again that alarms you that the DPF is in “regen” or “cleaning channel.”
Fundamentally what’s going on DPF clean during this interaction is that the motor’s PC has chosen from the data that it gets from the sensors introduced in the exhaust that the DPF has topped off past it’s satisfactory cutoff. The PC then, at that point, opens the EGR (fumes recirulation valve) bringing hot fumes into the admission to help get fumes gas temps higher and furthermore infuses a little shot of fuel into the chambers when the fumes valves are open. The raised exhaust temps and the modest quantity of fuel then, at that point, wear out the particulate (sediment) that the DPF has gathered since it’s last regen. When the PC gets readings from the sensors in the exhaust that the channel is streaming a satisfactory cutoff once more, it closes the regen cycle. The recurrence of this cleaning cycle is not quite the same as vehicle to vehicle contingent upon use, mileage, and motor condition.
Legends about the DPF framework:
1. The lines on the exhaust are fuel lines that dump fuel straightforwardly into the channel and different associations are sparkle or flash fittings that touch off the fuel to clean the channel.
Not in any way. As I expressed over, the fuel required for cleaning the dpf is gone into the motor chambers by course of the customary fuel injectors during the fumes stroke of the motor. A little shot of fuel is pushed out with the remainder of the fumes gas. The metal lines everybody sees on the DPF channel are for a strain sensor that is typically connected to the side of the transmission or edge. They have the long metal cylinders on them to get the temperature of the exhaust they are estimating down before it arrives at the sensor. Once more, it doesn’t matter to me what the tech at the showroom says about those lines, in case he says they are fuel lines (which I hear constantly), he is a dolt and you should eliminate your truck from that point as fast as could be expected. Different wires you see going to the exhaust previously, then after the fact the DPF channel are not sparkle or gleam plugs. They are thermocouples that action exhaust temperature. The PC utilizes exhaust temperature and tension previously, at, and after the dpf to quantify how stopped the dpf is and when it’s an ideal opportunity to play out a regen.
2. I can simply eliminate the DPF channel and put a piece of line in there.
Apologies, no. Assuming that you eliminate the DPF channel and make no changes in accordance with the motor’s PC, it will enter either a limp mode or a consistent condition of regen. Basically, every one of the sensors and the dpf must be in amazing working request when running the stock vehicle’s customizing or, in all likelihood your truck will go haywire and you can not drive it.
Normal issues with the DPF framework:
1. Helpless Fuel economy – This is the main grievance we get from clients who have trucks furnished with a DPF. Most clients who exchanged their pre-07 diesel pickups have been totally discontent with the absence of fuel mileage that used to appreciate. The normal mileage we hear individuals report on the DPF prepared trucks is generally 12-14 mpg. Large numbers of these people exchanged trucks that did 18-22 mpg and are totally disturbed.
2. Over the top regens – Many of our clients who utilize their trucks for work gripe about extremely regular regens that kill their fuel mileage and execution. Numerous clients who work outside in the colder time of year were accustomed to leaving their old diesels run the entire day while they were hands available. The DPF prepared trucks don’t deal with this well overall. The cooler standing by temperature of the fumes gas will residue up the DPF on a sped up rate. It isn’t remarkable for these clients to be on their second or third channel change in light of the fact that the truck went into consistent limp mode. The normally showroom reaction is: “You can’t allow these new trucks to sit.” Which goes over lovely well with folks who are stuck at a place of work five miles back in the forest the entire day and the temperature never gets over ten degrees.
3. High substitution cost – If any of you have needed to pay for a DPF substitution out of guarantee, you likely had a cardiovascular failure when you got the bill. A substitution DPF (which isn’t accessible secondary selling yet) runs generally $2000-$2600 for the simply the channel alone. Furthermore, hears the terrifying part. DPF life is assessed somewhere in the range of 120,000 and 150,000 miles. Assuming that you anticipate saving your new diesel pickup for two or three hundred thousand miles better beginning a DPF reserve.
4. Confines execution alterations – With the new diesel pickups, the potential for torque upgrades is enormous. We have taken each of the three brands of pickups to near or north of 500 back tire pull and 1000 ft/lbs of force with just admission, exhaust, and programming changes. Never has such a lot of execution been so natural and reasonable while as yet keeping up with road habits. The main issue is anything past a little tow type tune will exasperate the particulate channel. Turning up the motor will deliver more sediment which will plug the dpf sooner causing more regens. Numerous clients who run a 100 strength program report exceptionally helpless fuel mileage and consistent regens.
What should be possible to broaden DPF life and cutoff regens?:
Since we are not permitted by law to eliminate the DPF framework, we are left with it assuming you need to consent to Federal emanations and keep your truck lawful. The following are a couple of tips to help mileage and DPF life:
1. Utilize the right fuel – It is totally essential and important to utilize ultra low sulfur fuel in any vehicle outfitted with a particulate channel. High measures of sulfur in the fuel will plug the DPF right away. We get loads of inquiries from ranchers about the red fuel. To the extent we realize you can’t buy high sulfur fuel financially any longer. We have a treatment facility approximately a little ways from the shop that refines diesel. The two powers are actually something very similar, their is simply red color added to the rough terrain fuel. It will not hurt anything to run the low sulfur red fuel. The other inquiry we get posed is about added substances. Our recommendation is to just run items that were made for diesel fuel. Power Service, K100, Standyne, and Flash Lube for instance are brands that we see no issues running. Try not to add any kind of custom made fixes. Adding a quart of saw oil, atf, or whatever else presumably is certifiably not a smart thought. It will consume messy and may obstruct the dpf.